- 4 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 11 large avocado
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (59ml)
- 2 tablespoons water (30ml)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 2 pita bread and pine nuts, to serve
- Combine pine nuts, basil leaves, avocado, garlic and lemon juice in a food processor and pulse for 30 seconds or until combined. Add in water and process until smooth.
- Transfer pesto to a small bowl and stir in parmesan, season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat 2 x pita breads in olive oil and roast on an oven tray at 180°C until crisp and crunchy. Break up pita bread into bite size pieces.
- Serve dip with pita pieces and additional pine nuts to top the dip.
Recipe by Rachel Scoular
Store in an airtight container or jar and keep in the fridge. Best used within five days.
Makes 2 cups.
NUTRIENT content per 100g pesto
Energy 926kJ, Protein 4.7g, Fat 21.5g (Saturated fat 4g), Carbohydrate 1.5g, Sugars 1.2g, Fibre 2.2g, Sodium 69mg