- 125g hazelnut meal
- 125g dark chocolate
- 125g coconut oil
- 125g coconut sugar (see tip)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (175g) mixed cashews and hazelnuts (skins removed)
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 3 tblsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch sea salt
- 2 tblsp raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup walnuts, lightly crushed for the top
- Soak cashews and hazelnuts in water for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 160 C (conventional) and grease and line the base of an 18cm diameter round cake tin (springform is best for this).
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil, place a heat-proof bowl over hte top and add the dark chocolate and coconut oil,
- Melt together, stirring frequently until liquid, then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until creamy then add hazelnut meal, coconut sugar, melted chocolate, and mix well.
- Pour into greased and lined cake tin and bake for 40 minutes in the middle of the oven.
- While the cake is cooking, make the frosting.
- Drain the nuts, then add to a food processor or blender with coconut cream, maple syrup, vanilla, sea salt and raw cacao powder.
- Blitz until thick and uniform in texture.
- Place in the fridge to set whilst the cake is cooking and cooling.
- Once the cake is cooked, place on a wire rack to cool in tin for about 20 minutes, then remove tin and cool completely.
- Spread icing over the cake, top with extra walnuts and enjoy!
We have used coconut sugar for this recipe, but you could substitute with sweetener of your choice if that is not readily available.
Recipe courtesy of Jacqueline Alwill of Brown Paper Bag Nutrition.
|Nutrients per serve