- 450g mixed dried fruit
- ¼ cup brandy
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¾ 3 egg whites
- 240g mixed nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp finely grated orange rind
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 2 cups wholemeal plain flour, sifted
- ½ cup wholemeal self-raising flour, sifted
- Place the mixed dried fruit in a bowl and pour over the combined brandy and orange juice. Cover and set aside overnight.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Lightly grease a 19cm non-stick heart shape tin or six small 9.5cm non-stick heart shape tins.
- Place the canola oil, egg whites and brown sugar in a large bowl and whisk for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the soaked fruit, nuts and orange rind and stir with a large spoon until fully combined.
- Gradually add the mixed spice, plain flour and self-raising flour and continue stirring until mixture is fully combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the large tin/or between the small tins, until ¾ full.
- Place the cake tin/tins on a baking tray lined with 6-8 sheets of newspaper*. Bake for 25 minutes (for small hearts) or 1 hour 10 minutes (for large heart).
- Remove from oven, stand for 5 minutes then remove from tin and cool on a wire rack.
The newspaper insulates the tin better and ensure the base of the tin does not burn whilst cooking. The paper will not catch fire due to the low cooking temperature, and by cooking on the middle rack of the oven.
|Nutrients per serve